We bet you already know that Ariana Grande and John Legend are going to sing Beauty and the Beast in the upcoming live-action film adaption of the Disney classic (if not, yep, it’s confirmed). And that the ballad was originally performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson (how dare you forget!). But here are a few more things that should get you (much more) excited about the new film and its soundtrack:
1. The song features eight-time Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken’s melody and two-time Oscar-winner Howard Ashman’s lyrics.
2. It received an Academy Award, Golden Globe, and Grammy Award, among other accolades, upon its release in 1991.
Care for a flashback?
3. The new rendition of the song is produced by Ron Fair. “Stepping into the shoes of an Oscar and Grammy Award-winning classic is not small potatoes. But with today’s two greatest plutonium singers — John Legend and Ariana Grande — we are bringing the song back with a new school-old school fresh treatment that shows the soulfulness and power of what a great melody and lyric can inspire,” says Fair.
4. The music video will be directed by Dave Meyers, who has worked with P!nk, Janet Jackson, Britney, and Katy Perry (he received an MTV Video Music Award for Firework).
5. Menken will also provide the film score, with new recordings of the original songs written by Menken and Ashman. There will also be three new songs written by Menken and lyricist and three-time Oscar winner, Tim Rice.
6. The original motion picture soundtrack will be released by Walt Disney Records and exclusively distributed by MCA Music (Universal Music Philippines) on March 10, 2017.
Beauty And The Beast opens in Philippine cinemas on March 16, 2017. Watch the trailer: