Artist and performer FKA Twigs writes down her thoughts on sport and expression for Nike, as the creative director of Nike Women’s Spring Zonal Strength Tights campaign, “Do you believe in more?”
She says, ‘“Do you believe in more?” is a question that anyone can ask themselves. Do you believe that, in six months’ time, you’ll be able to run faster, or jump higher? Do you believe that you’ll be able to stay on the cross-trainer longer? Do you believe that you can reach your best physical shape? Do you believe that you can use your confidence to get that promotion at work or finish that creative project? It applies to whatever it is that you want to be or do.’
Here are some of her most inspiring words:
- I truly believe that success is when preparation meets opportunity.
- It’s not about the moment you jump off the diving board. It’s not about any one beat you’ve produced. It’s about the moments before that — preparation is the training, and opportunity is the moment you reach your fastest time or show how good your beat is.
- Since as early as I can remember, I’ve been obsessed with training and taking classes. When other people wanted to go on holiday or hang out with their friends in the park, l just wanted to take every class that was available.
- You have to be incredibly in tune with yourself and focused to be able to compete or create — vulnerability and strength have a lot to do with this.
- As an athlete in your final moments of competition, everything you’ve done, everything your parents have sacrificed and everyone who has supported you are there in that one second. You have to accept your destiny and have both the physical power and willpower to do what you need to do.
- You can work so hard on a creative project for over a year — you were in the studio until 4 a.m., maybe you had to get your friends to help you. Then there’s the moment before you let it go out into the world. And once you release it, that’s it.
- Dancers are taught to always look in the mirror, from an early age, to make sure we have perfect alignment. There comes a point when you just have to let go and trust that you’re going to get where you need to be. Overall, dance makes you realize that there’s beauty in the imperfections. I think that’s what can make it most intriguing for people to watch.
- For me the dream is that you don’t even realize you’re working out. You’re just doing you, and then the results come, and you value them as they’re happening.
For more information on Nike Zonal Strength Tights, visit the Nike website.
0 comments on “Artist and performer FKA Twigs on success, expression and sport”